Wednesday 10 July 2013

Pacific Rim Film Review

Release Date: 12/07/2013
Date watched: 10/07/2013
Director: Guillermo del Toro
Cast: Charlie HunnamIdris ElbaRinko Kikuchi
Plot:
As a war between humankind and monstrous sea creatures wages on, a former pilot and a trainee are paired up to drive a seemingly obsolete special weapon in a desperate effort to save the world from the apocalypse.
Review:GO BIG. OR GO EXTINCT. - The tagline which the film actually lives up to! Two hours and Eleven minutes of pure sci-fi robot smashing, alien ass kicking glory!
When Guillermo Del Toro stated at the European premiere of this film “There has never been a movie of this size and scope" and I do have to agree with him. After 2 hours of haggling to watch this film on the big screen of the cinema, I can safely say it was well worth it! The sound is just so immense and it really does grip you! I haven’t had an experience like that since The Dark Knight Rises in IMAX!
Combined with the Visual Effects the film is just huge!

Performance wise, I was satisfied. Each character was very distinct in their role, the main part of the characters is how well they interact with others, and theres a broad range of character types. There is just so much detail, which is vital to the progression of the narrative.
I think my favourite performance was Idris Elba. He knew that person inside and out and it is clearly shown.
The visual effects were tight for about 99% of the film. There was the occasional wide shot were it was obviously fake, but it just looks as if Warner Bros. offered a blank cheque to VFX companies.
Because of the scale and how huge everything is, you can literally get lost in the film, that was probably the winning factor for me. I felt like a big kid watching these super cool robots kicking the crap out of aliens!
There was a moment where I was so impressed, I was literally sat there going “okay, where does the set end and the green screen start" - Do not have the mentality, it destroys the escapism.
Pacific Rim is such a good film, I really would advise you all to watch it! I really hope it does well! I think it will in the U.S. but people may opt against it because its opening up against Monsters University.

No comments:

Post a Comment